Saturday, May 4, 2013

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

I bought some beautiful red-tinged spitskool the other day and wondered what to make with it.


Stuffed cabbage sounded nice, so I looked up some recipes on the web to get an idea of the process.

While blanching the cabbage leaves I made a mix of raw ground beef, shallots, garlic, salt, rosemary, cinnamon, and a little cooked white rice. After the leaves were slightly softened, I dolloped a spoonful of the mixture into the middle of each leaf and rolled it up burrito style, securing with a toothpick.

I added the cabbage bundles to a quick tomato sauce made of canned tomatoes to which I added shallots, garlic, hot chile and some leftover bacon. The cabbage bundles simmered in the sauce for about 30 minutes, until I tested one and the meat was cooked through.

I removed the toothpicks and served the stuffed cabbage topped with a tomato sauce and grated parm on the side for diners to add if they liked.



Oh man! It was pretty darn good! We agreed that the rosemary and cinnamon made a nice spice combination.

I think next time I would cook the cabbage a little longer as it was a little chewier than some liked. I thought it was fine but I think it would be easier to eat if the cabbage was softer. I also thought perhaps I'll try it next time as a layered dish, lasagna style.

In case you are wondering about the addition of white rice, some of the recipes suggested the addition of bread crumbs. I am trying to avoid wheat, so I thought I'd add white rice in honor of the Perfect Health Diet.


Do you make cabbage rolls? What are your secrets for a tasty dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment