Thursday, July 9, 2009

Doner Kebab

Have you had doner kebab before? According to the amazing wikipedia it is a "Turkish dish made of lamb meat cooked on a vertical spit and sliced off to order. Two similar dishes are called schwarma in Arabic and gyros in Greek, although ingredients and sauces differ."

My dad and I went to a doner kebab place last night for dinner. I guess it is typically eaten in a wrap or sandwich form but we had salads. It looks like it has a lot of feta and yogurt but it was really just on top.

It was ok. I like gyro meat better.

Fasting today until dinner. What shall I make tonight? Maybe I'll make up some harissa? What do you think? :)

4 comments:

  1. I had doner kabob at a Turkish place around here one time. Their version was basically gyro meat doused with yogurt sauce on top of a bed of shredded pita. Unfortunately pita bread is my kryptonite, haha. I think I could eat a gyro every day and be happy. We have a good kabob place around here that does a salad with gyro meat on it plus your choice of kabob. I always ask for no bread (because believe me, if there is pita bread on my table it is going in my mouth), and they always think I'm crazy but they offer me a veggie side instead. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Elizabeth - fresh pita is just so tasty! The gyro place near my house has the plumpest most yum pita ever. Booooooo. Stay away evil pita! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doner Kebab places are all over the place now in Spain (or at least where I live). The meat is quite tasty. I usually just eat the meat on top of a salad, but definitely do miss the pitas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Primal Mama - interesting that doner is popular in Spain. I don't think it is really that popular here in LA. I wasn't too impressed, but maybe it was just the restaurant I went to.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete