Friday, September 25, 2009

Syrian lamb recipe

I just got the most awesome cookbook that I have been lusting after for a few years now called Aromas of Aleppo. It is a book of Syrian Jewish recipes and it is very cool.

I was craving some red meat so I picked up some free-range lamb at the store. I made lamb kabobs out of the ground meat, and ooh they were tasty. Here is the recipe from the book:

1 lb ground lamb
1 onion, finely chopped (I didn't really chop them very well as you can see)
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
t tsp salt



Of course, you may know by now that I am incapable of following a recipe...I added aleppo pepper and used fresh mint instead of parsley. I swear I meant to use parsley but...argh.  I only used about 2/3 lb of lamb and I used the same amount of spices as specified. I made blobs out of the meat, stuck them on (oiled!) skewers and threw it all under the broiler for a while.
To go along with the lamb I scrounged in the fridge and found some shisito peppers, olives and cherry tomatoes. I threw them in a pan with some thyme and a sprinkle of allspice. YUM! I also made a little sauce for the lamb of lemon juice, aleppo pepper, yogurt, mint and cumin. I got this sheep milk yogurt at Whole Foods and I wanted to taste it. It was darn good.

A few red grapes for dessert. An EXTREMELY yummy meal if I don't say so myself! I really love the flavor of lamb. I must say that after being away it was nice to have a meal I cooked myself. After this I passed out cold since I had been awake for almost 24 hrs at that point.

Enjoy your day today! It's Friday!!! What's going on this weekend? I'm going to a football game tomorrow baby!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment