Monday, October 26, 2009

Lamb koftas - Gosht kae Kofta

Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a fun and relaxing weekend!

I mentioned the other day that I wanted to make lamb koftas from 1,000 Indian Recipes by Neelam Batra but I didn't have any cilantro handy. Well, I got the cilantro so I tried the koftas. Yum!

A very interesting recipe...You cook the meat with the spices first, then add egg and form it into meatballs and fry them. Hmmm. I had never thought to cook the meat first before making the balls. Ostensibly the cooking is supposed to help remove the moisture from the meat  - I think I screwed that part up. Oops!

I added a bit more spice in relation to meat than was called for in the recipe, so here is my adaptation:

1/2 lb ground lamb
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
4 dried red chiles (I used chile de arbol)
1 quarter size piece fresh ginger, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped

1 teaspoon garam masala
salt and black pepper
1 egg (recipe called for two egg whites - what is the diff?)
oil for frying - I used a mix of coconut oil and bacon grease
chaat masala for sprinkling on top


Saute the onion, garlic, ginger, chiles until the onions are mostly cooked - then add the meat, cilantro, garam masala, salt and pepper and cook on medium-low until moisture has evaporated. Let the mix cool, then add to food processor with 1 egg. Mix until spices etc are ground up into the meat and mixture is sticky.

Form into little balls and fry in the oil. You can deep fry them which would be super tasty, but I just kind of pan fried them.

OK so, these are supposed to be meat balls - they turned out to be meat "shapes". hahahaha!!! I think I didn't get the moisture out and my balls were not sticky enough. I've got balls, cylinders and disks, oops. Not the most photogenic food...


They were tasty though!!! I was going to eat them with a salad or some veggies but I got to eating so late and I was so hungry I just ate them with a little yogurt sauce - yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, mint, cilantro - my favorite lamb condiment. Leftovers too!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment