Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Spicy pork stew

This weekend I picked up some free-range pork at the farmers market and decided to make a spicy stew from ingredients I had lurking in the refrigerator. With a few old tomatillos, half an onion and some jalapenos...I could make a chile verde inspired meal!

I sliced up the pork and mixed it with a combination of herbs and spices: garlic, coriander, cumin, red pepper, salt, garlic, thyme and oregano. I let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so, then browned it in a pan and set it aside.


I chopped up the half an onion, two jalapenos, and three tomatillos and sauteed them in the same pan until a little caramelized. I added some lemon juice and zest to about three cups of homemade chicken stock, then threw the pork back in the pot. I put the cover on and let it simmer away on the stovetop for an hour or two. The pork softened, the veggies melted and the stock thickened to a spicy liquid.


Served with a squeeze of lemon and some fresh cilantro...a hot and satisfying meal for a cool autumn evening spent watching Weeds on dvd. Terrific leftovers too!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment