Monday, June 1, 2009

Lamb's Quarters

Have you tried lamb's quarters? No, not a lamb leg....the leafy veggie (Chenopodium album)! I was at the farmer's market last weekend and a lady was buying several bunches of them and extolling their virtues. I love greens so of course I grabbed some to try. They were soooooo yummy sauteed up quickly with some toasted sesame oil and garlic. One of my new faves.

According to online sources, it has a ton of vitamins A, C and calcium. It also has oxalates which I guess can be bothersome to some people.

photo from plant.photos.net

4 comments:

  1. I just had some lambs quarters from the farmer's market this week too! They reminded me of mustard greens. The guy I bought them from said he had lots of people request them last year, so this year he started harvesting them rather than throwing them out (they're a weed at his farm) and now no one's buying them. More for me I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a funny coincidence!

    I'm sure I have some growing in my yard. I'll be on the lookout from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We eat tons of them every year because they grow wild everywhere in this area (mountains of SW New Mexico). We also dry them for the winter and rehydrate for eating (one of the few greens that does this well). They even make a yummy pesto, especially if combined with sweet clover or beebalm (monarda)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting ideas Kiva Rose! It would make a great pesto!

    ReplyDelete