Thursday, July 16, 2009

More books I am reading

I really enjoy reading. However, living in the big city of the automobile, I do a lot of driving - or sitting in traffic. I like listening to NPR (gosh I am showing how nerdy I am!) but sometimes hearing the news can get depressing and repetitive. Well, why not read books while you are in the car?

Audiobooks are a life saver when you are stuck in gridlock. I also download audiobooks to my ipod and listen to them when I am going for a long walk. Very enjoyable!

Two books I have been listening to lately are:

The Well-Dressed Ape by Hannah Holmes
This book is super entertaining if you are a science nerd like me. The author looks at human biology and behavior from an outsider's perspective. She examines everything from the evolution of the eyeball to human mating behaviors. Lots of weird trivia to truly annoy your friends. (seriously!) The lady reading it has a nice soothing voice.

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
This is a much heavier book, it won a Pulitzer. It's been around for a long time but I have just gotten to it! The author analyzes why some cultures/societies dominated others. He attributes a lot of it to agriculture. Fascinating book. A bit hard to follow as an audiobook, especially while multitasking, because it is very detailed and intellectual. I tended to get a little distracted and have to go and rewind.

A friend just recommend Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Maybe I'll read that next. I love Malcolm Gladwell. You've read The Tipping Point, right? :)

Anyone reading something good (fiction, non fiction, whatever)? Please give me recommendations! I love books.

2 comments:

  1. I'll check out the Well-Dressed Ape, sounds good. After enjoying the introduction of Guns, Germs and Steel, I kinda lost interest! I agree, it is too detailed and intellectual. I'm reading an awesome book right now called "The God Delusion." It's about religion and atheism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, I can loan you the CDs for WDA if you want. Just tell me where to mail it!
    That book sounds interesting- thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete