Thursday, October 29, 2009

Books

I absolutely love information. I don't know how I survived before the internet made knowledge readily available at all times with a few clicks on the keyboard. Since I got an iphone, this access has become even more awesome! Having a debate with a friend over what countries share a border with Greece? Look it up instantly! Trying to remember the spanish word for sweetbreads? It's at your fingertips.

I love it.

But do you know what gives me the information I crave along with a deep sense of tranquility and happiness? A used bookstore!


I LOVE used bookstores, always have. I love their dusty smells and their creaky floors. They are dinosaurs in this internet age. When I find one still in business I am so thrilled!

These are photos of one of my very favorite used bookstores in LA. I was there the other day and I got 10 books for $40. Good books too! Look how the floors have been worn down by years of shoppers wandering the isles in search of information.


I adore the internet, but you just can't get that same sense of quiet peace as you feel in an old bookstore.

Sorry this has nothing to do with food! Just rambling...have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. You're awesome. I have the same feeling about libraries, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe! No, you're awesome! :)

    I love libraries too. I used to want to be a librarian, until I worked in a library for several years...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a nerd! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... what books did you pick up?

    I am actually looking for my next read. I think I'm going with Tao Te Ching and Mark's Primal Blueprint. I've been meaning to read Forces Of Nature too. Laird Hamilton wrote it. Just found out that he is a primal eater.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anon- Oh yes! Huge nerd and proud of it! :)

    Hi Dan- I picked up a few books for gifts and for myself I got a Dan Millman book, a collection of Edward Abbey essays, Power of Intention by Wayne Dyer, and Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl. The books you are talking about all sound like awesome selections!

    ReplyDelete